Safety first: Mobile and portable gas appliances

For the safety of you and your family, it’s important that gas appliances are located, maintained and operated correctly. Always read the manufacturer’s instructions, and pay attention to any signs or stickers on the appliance advising of specific requirements, such as ‘outdoor use only’. Some mobile and portable gas appliances must only be used outdoors in well-ventilated areas. Operating outdoor gas appliances inside your home or in tents, caravans and four-wheel drives can be fatal, especially when sleeping. Using a gas appliance in the wrong location, without enough air to operate safely, can cause poor combustion, which can result in the production of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide, commonly known as CO, is an odourless, colourless, toxic gas, which can be fatal in very small amounts. Symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea and confusion. If you’re using a gas appliance and experience these symptoms, you should turn off the appliance, move to a well-ventilated area and seek medical advice. Poor combustion can also result from a gas appliance not working correctly.

Regular maintenance of your gas appliances—to keep them free of dirt, dust, insects, nests and pet hair—will help ensure they work correctly and efficiently, keeping your family safe and saving you money. The manufacturer’s instructions will provide advice on service requirements and maintenance, but it’s a good idea to schedule a service just before you expect to get the most use of the appliance. So get your camping gas appliances checked before your next big trip, book a service for your mobile heater in autumn, before the cold snap, and always use a licensed gasfitter. Remember, safety first..